Garblog's Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Biased Towards Action (or How to Avoid Overplanning) | Michael Roberts, Revive Your Creativity

Roberts is on target in this blog. He emphasizes that *some* planning is good, even essential. But his second emphatic point: Don't let planning be your crutch.

Roberts writes:
The problem can be that we spend so much time planning that we never actually get to creating. I find that my need to outline the story just one more time always reasserts itself right around the moment when I start to struggle with the writing process.
He then provides the meat of his blog: four ways to beat the temptation of over-planing. Summarized, they are:
  • It’s time to have a bias towards action. ...
  • Put a time-limit on your planning. ...
  • Have a list of what needs to be planned. ...
  • Put down the blogs, instructional books, and planning guides and get to work. ...
This article is featured in my June 5 Creativity Connections paper. You can read other articles at the Creativity tab near the top of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...