Garblog's Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

The top 20 grammatical pick-up lines, for Valentine’s Day | Alexandra Petri, ComPost, Washington Po

They're a day late as I post this after Valentine's Day 2013. But for grammatically correct use some other time, lines in this article could come in handy. 

Below some unrelated cartoons,  Petri writes:
A recent survey by Match.com found that the top criteria by which both women and men judged potential partners was their teeth and their grammar. It is so hard to tell if people at bars have good grammar. So, without further ado, here are some lines that are guaranteed to get you laid lain with by all the hip, grammatical singles out there ....
Some examples:

  • I’m not possessive, but I still want you to be mine.
  • Have you seen any linking verbs around here? Because you are my complement and I want to connect.
  • Let’s make like an infinitive and never be split.
  • I am your subject. Will you be my predicate?
  • I would never precede you with “which,” baby, because you are essential to this clause.
  • Are you a verb? Because you look a little tense, but I can put you in the mood.
____________

Petri's article is featured today, Feb. 15, in my daily online paper, Garbl's Style: Write Choices, available at the Editorial Style tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...