Garblog's Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Grammarly Lite — Spellchecker Designed For The Web

I'm experimenting with this free online tool by Grammarly. Besides checking for spelling mistakes, it checks for grammar and punctuation mistakes. And it includes a dictionary and thesaurus.

When installed, it runs in the background, checking posts as you type them, in Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Blogger (including this blog post as I type it), and other social media sites,

I'm using it in my Chrome browser, but I assume it works in other browsers. So far, it works pretty well, though the pop-up window can be annoying if it gets in front of text I'm trying to write or edit. 


As with any automated spelling or grammar checker, the human user has the essential responsibility to accept or ignore their advice. Letting these tools make changes without using human judgment is no excuse for the resulting errors or embarrassment.

Since this tool called Grammarly Lite, I also assume it has a paid version with more or enhanced functions. I wouldn't be surprised if I start getting messages encouraging me to buy that one. 
______
This tool is featured today, Feb. 10, in my daily online paper, Garbl's Style: Write Choices, available at the Editorial Style tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...