Garblog's Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Why Do We Feel the Need to Post Everything on Social Media? | The Dsh with Tsh

I appreciated this article, which is also headlined, "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid." As my Facebook friends and acquaintances know, I like posting my photos after I return from vacation trips. I'm doing that now as I cull and edit my recent photos from Peru (Machu Picchu, the Amazon Rain Forest, Lima, the Sacred Valley, Cusco/Cuzco).

I like to share my experiences and the mind-opening value I get from traveling in other places and other cultures. And, to be honest, I'm pleased with a lot of my photos and like to share them too.

But I do that after I return. I don't typically post photos and messages while I'm on a trip. I do that partially for the good reasons described in this article. And especially when I'm out of the country, I do it so I don't have to spend the time and money paying for Internet access (if it's not free where I'm staying) and roaming charges (which can be high!). My wife and I also don't like to announce that we're not at home, not occupying our house.

And reviewing and sharing my photos after I return extends the trip! I get to think about the trip, the places I saw, the people I met, the things I learned ... again and again as I go through the photos, respond to comments about them, and see them again. And I like the kudos (he said, immodestly).

______
This article, BTW, is featured today (Sept. 28) in Garbl's Simple Dreams--available at the Simplicity tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...