Garblog's Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Seeing is Belizing | Communicating in another land

Sunset at the Ambergris Caye. On the Caribbean Sea in Belize, April 5, 2013. Copyright Gary B. Larson.
My wife and I visited the small Central American country of Belize on the Caribbean Sea from March 31-April 6, 2013. Our home away from home was the Ambergris Caye and its village of San Pedro. If you're interested, here's my photo album and travelogue on Facebook.

My blog in mostly about writing and editing, but photography and speaking--especially in foreign countries or new environments--are equally important forms of communication. I practice both a lot as I travel more and more these days. We must learn to communicate better among the diverse people on this planet.


The official language in Belize is English, and most residents we met spoke it well. But among themselves, they chatted in a language that's apparently a blend of English, Spanish, French and Creole. I could not understand it.

In Belize, we swam, sunbathed, relaxed, snorkeled,  visited ancient Mayan ruins, took a boat ride along a jungle river, ate a variety of fresh seafood, drank a bunch of Belizean rum punches, shopped for local jewelry (my wife) and T-shirts (me), chatted with locals and other visitors, listened to local music, walked the beaches, and experienced transportation from small planes, passenger vans and golf carts to water taxis, power boats, catamarans and kayaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...