Garblog's Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Embiggen your vocabulary: 10 coinages from ‘The Simpsons’ | Laura Hale Brockway, Ragan's PR Daily

I don't watch "The Simpsons" regularly, though I usually enjoy it when I do. And I also enjoyed and even recognized some of the unique Simpsons words listed and defined in this article.

Using them likely won't improve your writing, but you might attract some attention (positive, I hope) and provoke some chuckles if you use them discreetly.


Or, as Brockway writes:

You won’t find them in the dictionary, but try slipping them into conversation and see what happens.
Brockway defines these words and briefly describes how characters used them in Simpsons episodes:
  • embiggen
  • cromulent
  • craptacular 
  • redorkulated 
  • yoink 
  • dumbening 
  • shinning 
  • car hole 
  • word hole 
  • d’oh.
______
This article is featured today, Feb. 21, in my daily online paper, Garbl's Style Write Choices, available at the Editorial Style tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...