Garblog's Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Social Media Mistakes to Run Away From | Adrian Snood, Social Media Today

Blogger Snood provides good advice in this article. I especially appreciated the eighth and final mistake he lists, not just for social media but also for other forms of communication, including email:
You don’t proof your content for spelling and grammar errors. 
Poor spelling and grammatical errors in your content reflects badly on your business. Nothing looks more unprofessional than spelling mistakes. If a client sees that you can’t spell correctly in a social media post, then why would they have the confidence to deal with you? The fix for this is to always proof-read your content before hitting the send button.
I value Snood's advice here not just because I too often see spelling and grammar errors in posts by social media users but also because I make them sometimes. For a professional writer and editor to publish such mistakes--because I didn't proofread my message before posting it--is not acceptable. That's a lesson I continue to teach myself.

Snood's blog is featured today, Feb. 8, in my daily online paper, Garbl's Good Cause Communications, available at the Nonprofit Communications tab above and by free email subscription.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Gary. Poor spelling and grammatical errors in all types of content are one of my 'pet peeves'. Of course, we all make mistakes and it's so easy to overlook the simplest tasks from time to time. Social sharing platforms are one of the worst areas for these types of errors, and I see it on a daily basis from large brands and companies.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...