Garblog's Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Socially unsure about your writing? | John E. McIntyre, baltimoresun.com

McIntyre reviews the latest book by Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time.

He writes:
She will take you gently by the hand and calm your apprehensions with soothing, sensible advice.
Of the 101 troublesome words (and phrases), McIntyre notes Fogarty's comments on these:
  • free gift
  • over, more than 
  • gone missing 
  • between 
  • none 
  • lighted, lit 
  • healthy, healthful.
  • kudos 
  • noisome 
  • unique
  • bemused 
  • hopefully
  • It is me, It's me, It is I. 
McIntyre concludes:
It is, like Ms. Fogarty's other publications, quite a handy little book. If it should help relieve a little of your anxiety about writing and bolster your confidence in the exercise of your own language, then it will well repay your attention.
Another review of Fogarty's book -- by Literary Marie -- also notes these terms:
  • African American, African American, black
  • couldn't care less, could care less
  • e-mail, email
  • I'd've
  • lay, lie
  • momentarily,
  • out loud, aloud
  • peruse
  • than I, than me
  • utilize, use
  • whet, wet.
Both reviews are featured in today's (July 5) Garbl's Style: Write Choices -- available at the Editorial Style tab above and by free email subscription. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...