Garblog's Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Grammar Girl : Who Versus Whom :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

My wife and I were talking about the use of who and whom last night. She teaches English as a second language to international students, and one of the assigned lessons includes those words.

She and I agreed that the correct use of those words is difficult even for native speakers of English--and everyone probably gets them wrong. I'd say that even writing experts get 'em wrong occasionally, at least in casual, informal writing and speaking.

I have read some writing experts who wish the distinction would end, that whom would simply disappear. And I agree. Given the common misuse of whom for who and (more likely) who for whom, I'd say the distinction is disappearing. Writing experts and teachers should just let it happen ... and even promote it!

Coincidentally, I came across this article today by Mignon Fogarty, the Grammar Girl. As usual in her advice, Fogarty provides a clear explanation of the two words.

Here's my advice on the distinction in Garbl's Editorial Style Manual.

Fogarty's article is featured today,  Dec. 7, in my daily online paper, Garbl's Style: Write Choices--available at the Editorial Style tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...