Garblog's Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Streetscapes - Useful Vocabulary for Building Watchers | Christopher Gray

I can't say I have much use for this vocabulary list right now. But who knows?

When I'm traveling, I like taking photos of the architecture in new places I'm visiting. Perhaps knowing these words will help me notice certain features of urban architecture I've ignored before--and then help me explain their picturesque uniqueness later!

Gray writes:
THE Streetscapes column is not big on terminology, but some is necessary; instead of embarrassing yourself by saying “those grooves on the side of a column,” impress your dinner partner and use the real term, fluting.
Here are the words he's highlighting:
  • fluting
  • oriel or bay?
  • mansard
  • vitruvian wave
  • rustication
  • vermiculation

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...