Garblog's Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

U.S. to defend Afghanistan for decade after drawdown | The Associated Press

Back in the days when I studied journalism and worked as a newspaper editor and reporter, I learned, experienced and used the word Afghanistanism:
the practice (as by a journalist) of concentrating on problems in distant parts of the world while ignoring controversial local issues.
Of course, that was multiple decades ago, before the United States launched its endless war in Afghanistan. Initially, after 9/11, I supported its purpose. But that purpose has been accomplished as much as realistically possible.

Unfortunately, the news media aren't the only institutions that continue to practice Afghanistanism. I support the United States in its limited efforts (as reflected in the U.S. budget) to help improve living conditions and enhance freedoms of people in foreign countries. But I believe some U.S. efforts at nation-building accomplish little (at least for the people of countries we're supporting) at the expense of accomplishing nation-building at home.

Afghanistanism applies literally to our country's endless involvement in Afghanistan.


I like this recent news release from U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich:
Instead of Nation-Building Abroad, We Should be Nation-Building at Home
Military Presence in Afghanistan Perpetuates Cycle of Violence


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...