Garblog's Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Social critic Naomi Wolf credits parents' support with her success | Jessica Burchard, Examiner.com

Quotations of nationally recognized author and social critic Naomi Wolf on May 5 during the Ninth Annual Writer's Conference at Columbus State Community College, Ohio. Emphasis added.
My parents very much demystified the idea of being a writer. My dad likened writing to being a cobbler—writing is your craft.
I grew up in a weird household. They always said ‘yes’ to imagination.
She defines advocacy writing as “non-fiction writing in which you take a stand.” The writing genre can also include dystopias such as Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale and satires like Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.

Without advocacy writing, we’d still be living in [Charles] Dickens’ world,” Wolf said, adding that anyone willing can do advocacy writing. “I do believe every person on the planet has a message; something unique to him or her.” 
Telling the truth in your own voice is intoxicating and addictive. Even though, I have to warn you, turmoil will follow. 
For more information, check out Garbl's Writing Process Links and Garbl's Action Writing Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...