Garblog's Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Content Curators Are The New Superheros Of The Web | Steven Rosenbaum, Fast Company

According to this article, I must be a so-called "curator" in the way I put together this blog. And though I'm volunteering my time to be a curator, I'm OK with that.

Rosenbaum writes:
Curation is the act of individuals with a passion for a content area to find, contextualize, and organize information. Curators provide a consistent update regarding what's interesting, happening, and cool in their focus. Curators tend to have a unique and consistent point of view--providing a reliable context for the content that they discover and organize.
But be a curator has its downsides. Rosembaum writes:
So anyone who steps up and volunteers to curate in their area of knowledge and passion is taking on a Herculean task. They're going to stand between the web and their readers, using all of the tools at their disposal to "listen" to the web, and then pull out of the data stream nuggets of wisdom, breaking news, important new voices, and other salient details. It's real work, and requires a tireless commitment to being engaged and ready to rebroadcast timely material.
He notes some best practices for curators, mostly along the lines of plagiarism. And I think I'm on safe ground. Good! I'm enjoying this effort to make connections among various articles, blogs and websites I read, all trying to simplify and clarify all the data streaming from the Web daily.

Still, I won't be calling myself a superhero any time soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...