Garblog's Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Developmental Editing and Copy Editing: What’s the Difference? | Merry Farmer

Farmer writes:
First, there are two kinds of editors. You can’t do without either of them.
When a lot of people think “editor” they think of the person who reads through your manuscript looking for bad grammar, misspelled words, and typos. This is a Copy Editor. Copy editing is like making sure you don’t have broccoli in your teeth. ...
A good copy editor knows the rules of grammar and uses them mercilessly against your manuscript. ...

But even more essential, in my humble opinion, is developmental editing.
A Developmental Editor is a writer’s best friend, but I bet most writers are terrified of the prospect. I know I was before I had my first manuscript developmentally edited. A Developmental Editor reads your manuscript and asks questions. They peel away the layers to figure out what makes your story tick. Or more importantly, what stops your story from ticking. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...